Friday, January 23, 2009

Just Call Me Betty Crocker!

I am so incredibly proud of myself right now! Today is my dad's 60th birthday. I decided that I would go all out and make him his most favorite cake--Italian Creme Cake. My mom used to make them for him, so it is kind of a special treat in many ways. For those of you who know much about baking, you know that this is not an easy cake to make. And for those of you who know me, you know that NOTHING is easy for me to bake! Let's just say I am not the greatest cook in town. But I love my daddy bunches (Caroline got her "daddy's girl" trait honest!) and I was determined to do this for him. SO, sweet Mrs. Wilson dug through all of her many cookbooks and recipes a few nights ago and helped me find one in the Southern Living cookbook for a delicious Italian Creme Cake. I must say, I think Daniel and I did a pretty good job! Daniel loves to bake with me (it is usually not too involved!), and he REALLY loves to lick the spoons, beaters, and spatulas! This batch was so tasty even Matt was licking it up! He kept asking why I have never baked a cake like this for him. I promised to make him one for his 60th birthday (it might be that long before I make another cake!!!). We are heading to Brewton tomorrow to deliver the cake and visit with daddy and Tammy. Can't wait for him to see and taste his cake!!

We just got the THREE cake layers out of the oven and are about to mix up the icing while they cool.

Daniel mixed for a while, then I took over the mixing while he added in the powdered sugar bit by bit.

Spreading on the icing...mmmm...almost time to lick the spatula!

The moment D has been waiting for! (Don't worry, I had finished icing the cake before I let him do this!)

The finished product. BEAUTIFUL!

No comments: